[darcs-devel] [issue2459] cloning remote repo fails to use packs if cache is on a different partition

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Wed Jun 24 21:58:30 UTC 2015

New submission from Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de>:

I just tried to clone a remote repo that I 'optimize http'-ed before and
it told me "Problem while copying basic pack, copying normally."

Investigating this, I removed the catchall handler that hides the
underlying OS error (in D.R.Clone) and found that the problem is:

darcs:
/home/ben/.cache/darcs/pristine.hashed/fb/fbc32994b8c855359a0eca70ade35f39c2e81fead62f74a79de1ec8bcd07c536:
createLink: unsupported operation (Invalid cross-device link)

No wonder this fails: /tmp has its own partition. The createLink call is
from D.R.Packs. I think the proper fix is to fall back to writing the
file, which is what normally happens if ~/.cache/... does not exist.

nosy: bf
status: unknown
title: cloning remote repo fails to use packs if cache is on a different partition