[darcs-devel] [darcs-users] release 2.10 process

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Mar 6 02:31:59 UTC 2015

Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
> An update on the darcs 2.10 release:
>
> * we are close to it, the biggest bugs have been fixed.

Yay!

> * there are still unresolved bugs that are linked from the release
> page, but the only blocker is 2438, which already has a patch that I
> will accept friday if there is no objection (
> http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1298 )

There is one other problem we should (IMO) fix before releasing 2.10: it
(still) happens on some remote operations that I get

Couldn't fetch
`0000001156-372a52661eb9c63ff8a7b4e37530646808c626509c3d4b41d9ceb5919b5bfa94'
in subdir patches from sources:

See my comments to issue2437, issue2421 and issue2400. Yes, these are all
different scenarios / commands, but the error message is (more or less) the
same in all those cases, which suggests that the cause may be related.
Unfortunately, whenever I lately got these errors I always happened to be in
a hurry to get other stuff done, which prevented me from investigating them.
I hope I may be able to distill a small test case in the next days.

Another problem I'd like to be resolved in 2.10 is Issue2372. I guess
someone must have added the sources hint on purpose and everyone else
thought it was a good idea, no? On the other hand, nobody ever bothered to
defend the feature or explain why it might be a good thing to have. That
suggests that you who read this are mostly indifferent. In that case I would
like to send a patch that simply removes the annoyance and be done with it.

> * I'm going to skip the release candidate stage and release 2.10.0,
> probably at the beginning of next week

Could you explain why you want to skip the release candidate stage?

> You can already see the enormous amount of work done since Darcs 2.8
> at http://darcs.net/Releases/2.10
>
> thanks
>
> Guillaume

Many thanks to you for managing the release process!

Cheers
Ben