[darcs-devel] [issue2372] Please remove "HINT: I could not reach..." message

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Mar 7 17:50:08 UTC 2015

On 07/03/2015 17:07, Ben Franksen wrote:

> (1) Stop accessing ~/.darcs/cache unconditionally. Instead, automatically
> create ~/.darcs/sources (if and only if it does not yet exist), with
> ~/.darcs/cache as the single (default) entry. We can do this every time
> Darcs is invoked or just before it starts reading patch files.

I like this idea.

> (2) Similarly, for each repo create _darcs/prefs/sources that by default is
> a copy of ~/.darcs/sources. Again, do this only if no such file exists (i.e.
> *not* if it exists and is empty).

What's the advantage of copying it rather than falling through to it? I
guess it means that you can stop entries in the global sources being
used, but that strikes me as quite a rare/unlikely case.

Conversely, if we fall through then it's easier for people to add/remove
global sources without touching every repository.

> (3) Whenever an entry in _darcs/prefs/sources or ~/.darcs/sources is
> inaccessible, it gets removed (permanently) from both files.

Would the user be told, so they could re-add it in the case of a problem
they knew to be transient?

> (4) New entries are auto-added to _darcs/prefs/sources as before i.e.
> whenever we are told to fetch something from a specified repo.

Makes sense.

> This allows users to reset the caching behaviour of a repo to defaults by
> simply removing _darcs/prefs/sources. In the same way, removing
> ~/.darcs/sources resets the global default to the single entry for
> ~/.darcs/cache. Everything else is taken care of automatically.

Sounds good to me (modulo the copying versus fallthrough question).

Cheers,

Ganesh