[darcs-devel] obliterated patches

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Thu Mar 12 21:15:33 UTC 2015

Simon Michael wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:29 AM, Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
>> wrote: I wrongly pushed a patch in our screened and branch-2.10
>> repositories. I obliterated it but it is still in your hub.darcs.net
>> mirrors. Could you obliterate it? Otherwise you may have nasty conflicts
>> in the future.
>>
>> It´s the patch "resolve issue2421" in
>> http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-2.10 and
>> http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-screened .
>>
>> Also, can you lower the frequency of update of these repos, so that we
>> can have time to obliterate wrongly pushed patches? :-)
>
> I’ve obliterated this patch from http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-2.10
> <http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-2.10> and
> http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-screened
> <http://hub.darcs.net/darcs/darcs-screened>:
>
> ‘resolve issue2421: commandGetArgPossibilities for apply should not list
> all files in the repo'
>
> darcs-screened also has these patches not present upstream, should I
> obliterate them ?
>
> 'fixed withRepoLockCanFail by allowing more things to fail’
> 'cleanup in Darcs.Repository.Job: indent, haddocks’

Yes.

> I was mirroring the hub.darcs.net/darcs repos often to try and encourage
> darcs devs to use them (and darcs hub) more.

What advantages would this give me, compared to pushing/pulling/sending
from/to the original repos?

> I’ve reduced the mirroring
> period from 15m to 2h, how’s that ?
>
> Sorry for the slow response. I’ve been busy and perhaps also
> procrastinating because our process seems a bit suboptimal here. Cc’ing
> the dev list to see if anyone has ideas to tweak it.

I think it would be better to record the time when patches are applied in
upstream and wait 2 hours before pulling them. That means you can probe as
often as you want, but should not apply until after the "grace period" (I
guess 2 hours is fine.

A more radical solution would be to auto-obliterate things in the mirrors
that disappear upstream. That would mean you can stay in however close a
sync as you want.

Cheers
Ben