[darcs-devel] darcs and darcs hub (Re: obliterated patches)

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Thu Mar 12 23:38:16 UTC 2015

On 3/12/15 2:15 PM, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Simon Michael wrote:
>> darcs-screened also has these patches not present upstream, should I
>> obliterate them ?
>>
>> 'fixed withRepoLockCanFail by allowing more things to fail’
>> 'cleanup in Darcs.Repository.Job: indent, haddocks’
>
> Yes.

Done.

>> I was mirroring the hub.darcs.net/darcs repos often to try and encourage
>> darcs devs to use them (and darcs hub) more.
>
> What advantages would this give me, compared to pushing/pulling/sending
> from/to the original repos?

Here's how I always thought of it (I don't know if they seem like
advantages to you):

1. a browsable and linkable web UI, facilitating code and patch
review/discussion/searching

2. more visibility and clarity on the various darcs branches and their
purpose

3. convenient forking/tracking/merging of everybody's dev branches, and
a more efficient web-based github-style workflow

4. concentration of darcs developers and users on a single
highly-visible hub running the latest darcs and darcsden code, thereby
promoting a virtuous cycle of dogfooding and improvement

Regarding 2 and 3, in fact I hoped the mirroring would be temporary, and
the master repos would move to darcs hub at some point. I also thought
that the official darcs repos would be immutable (no rewriting of
history), and so their hub mirrors would be also.

>> I’ve reduced the mirroring
>> period from 15m to 2h, how’s that ?
>
> I think it would be better to record the time when patches are applied in
> upstream and wait 2 hours before pulling them. That means you can probe as
> often as you want, but should not apply until after the "grace period" (I
> guess 2 hours is fine.
>
> A more radical solution would be to auto-obliterate things in the mirrors
> that disappear upstream. That would mean you can stay in however close a
> sync as you want.

Indeed, or we could update the mirrors much less frequently, or remove
them. Or now that I think of it, you darcs devs can and should do
whatever obliterating you want on darcs hub, using the ssh or web
interface. Eg currently Ganesh, Guillaume and Owen have member access to
darcs-screened and I believe can obliterate there. Also IIRC Ganesh and
Guillaume have the password for the darcs user, so can manage these
repos and their access. I can adjust or turn off the cron jobs that do
the pulling as y'all tell me.