[darcs-devel] darcs status is slow (when there are loads of untracked files)

Dan Frumin dan at covariant.me
Wed May 6 10:07:59 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this issue has already been raised in a more eloquent manner.

I've noticed recently that on some repositories `darcs status' take a
loooooong time to finish. I've manage to narrow down the problem to
having a '.cabal-sandbox' directory (that was not included in the
.boringfile) with loads and loads of files.

One way to avoid this problem would be to add (reinstall?) the
--non-recursive option to whatsnew. But I am actually not entirely
sure of that solution. Ideally, I want darcs status to tell me that
".cabal-sandbox" is available, but not tracked by darcs. This is the
default git behaviour, and 'git status' is very fast. Of course, IIRC,
darcs does *not* operate on the level of directories, so that might be
tricky.

Kind regards,
- Daniil