[darcs-devel] darcs status is slow (when there are loads of untracked files)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed May 6 17:45:06 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 11:07, Dan Frumin wrote:

> Apologies if this issue has already been raised in a more eloquent manner.
>
> I've noticed recently that on some repositories `darcs status' take a
> loooooong time to finish. I've manage to narrow down the problem to
> having a '.cabal-sandbox' directory (that was not included in the
> .boringfile) with loads and loads of files.
>
> One way to avoid this problem would be to add (reinstall?) the
> --non-recursive option to whatsnew. But I am actually not entirely
> sure of that solution. Ideally, I want darcs status to tell me that
> ".cabal-sandbox" is available, but not tracked by darcs. This is the
> default git behaviour, and 'git status' is very fast. Of course, IIRC,
> darcs does *not* operate on the level of directories, so that might be
> tricky.

FWIW darcs knows about directories more than git does - it actively
tracks them with add/remove/rename patches.

At the moment 'darcs status' lists all the files in an untracked
directory. Are you proposing changing the output so it just lists the
directory and nothing else?

If so I think that's a reasonable change to make, just wanted to check
that's what you meant.

Cheers,

Ganesh