[darcs-devel] [patch1345] Drop GHC 7.4 support, introduce 'Darcs.Prelude' to abs...

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Sun May 31 14:34:24 UTC 2015

New submission from Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>:

I'll leave this a few days before screening in case there are any screams.

The key change is that all our 'Prelude' imports are now imports of 'Darcs.Prelude'.
The motivation is to cut down on the pain every time a new Prelude decides to export some new stuff.

>From the comment:

This module abstracts over the differences in the Haskell Prelude over multiple GHC versions,
and also hides some symbols that are exported by the Prelude but clash with common names in
the Darcs code.

Broadly it exports everything that the latest Prelude supports, minus the things we explicitly exclude
By default it should be imported with
    import Prelude ()
    import Darcs.Prelude

1 patch for repository darcs-unstable at darcs.net:screened:

Sun May 31 15:26:27 BST 2015  Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
  * Drop GHC 7.4 support, introduce 'Darcs.Prelude' to abstract over changes

  This fixes the flood of redundant import warnings from bits of Applicative
  being moved into the Prelude, and also should make future changes of this
  nature easier to handle.

files: drop-ghc-7_4-support_-introduce-_darcs_prelude_-to-abstract-over-changes-.dpatch, patch-preview.txt, unnamed
messages: 18421
nosy: ganesh
status: needs-screening
title: Drop GHC 7.4 support, introduce 'Darcs.Prelude' to abs...