[darcs-devel] [patch1373] refactored Darcs.Repository (and 1 more)

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Wed Nov 4 20:37:39 UTC 2015

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

Before and after this change, calling newset2FL happens all the time,
the difference is that before, it happens at cloning time, while after
it happens only at "optimize http" time. Which is better because
optimizing should happen fewer times than cloning, and servers are
supposed to be more powerful than clients.

The only thing that is done with the FL created with newset2FL is that
we get the hashes of the individual patches of the FL, which is a cheap
operation (nothing like commuting and such). One test I did was running
"optimize http" twice on darcs.net's repo. The second time was much
faster, so I concluded that most of the time was spent reading files on
the disk.