[darcs-devel] [patch1409] merge Darcs.Patch.ConflictMarking into Darcs.Patch.Con...

Guillaume Hoffmann guillaumh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:12:27 UTC 2015

> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> added the comment:
>
> I don't feel too strongly, but I think the two are logically
> distinct and would be slightly better in separate files.

I agree that they are logically different, but I'd like to slow down
"module inflation", especially with small modules (the new merged
module is 188 lines big); and also every module that imported
ConflictMarking already imported Conflicts.

The biggest problem I have with module inflation is the overall
compile time of Darcs. Also there is a cost of reading and
understanding two different modules that are related to the same
topic. (OTOH some modules like Darcs.Repository.Internals suffer the
opposite issue of being too big).

Similarly the current version of Darcs.Repository.Packs (which has
become quite small, 117 lines) could also be merged again into
Darcs.Repository.Clone (473)... In fact *this* merge is more obvious
than Conflict/ConflictMarking. I'm sending a patch soon.