[darcs-devel] [issue2479] BUG: Error descending in modifyTree

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Fri Nov 20 07:10:11 UTC 2015

>From a bit of experimenting, the problem comes from the inclusion of the '.' folder in the
list of things to move. If you try `darcs mv . a` you get a proper error:

    darcs-ghc710:[ganesh at paxton:~/temp/d]$ darcs mv . ./b

    darcs failed:  Cannot move the root of the repository

I'm not sure that `$(darcs list files)` is the right thing to do here anyway. You only need
to move the top-level items to `a`. Everything else would be moved implicitly anyway.

Unfortunately `darcs mv * a` doesn't work either because it tries to move `a`, so I can't
think of a clean way to do what you want.

In any case the actual error you're getting is clearly a bug we should fix to produce the
error message about not being able to move the root.

I guess darcs could also filter out the invalid things being requested and just move the
valid things. That might be a bit harder to implement.

status: unknown -> needs-diagnosis/design