[darcs-devel] [issue2466] `darcs convert export` turns some Darcs tags into Git comments insead of tags

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Wed Sep 2 01:52:24 UTC 2015

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

Hi Andrés,

what happens is that the missing tags are conflicting tags, that is,
tags corresponding to states that are not really "replayed" when darcs
exports a repository to git.

We could enable these tags to be exported as git tags, but they would
not refer to any reliable state of the repository anyway.

We're aware this is a problem with darcs's export code and there are
some ideas about how to tacle this, see eg the second item of
<http://darcs.net/GSoC#better-conflicts-handlingui> .

So, as a short-term solution I think "darcs export" should at least
throw some warning message when the repository has conflicts. As for
whether we should export conflicting tags (ie, those that are
meaningless in the git mirror), I'm not sure yet.

nosy: +MaicoLeberle, ganesh