[darcs-devel] [issue2492] build regression with 2.10.3

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Wed Feb 10 06:06:12 UTC 2016

On 08/02/2016 21:00, Dave Love wrote:

> Ganesh Sittampalam <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
>
> >> I suspect that passing --constraint 'unix<2.7' ,
>
> That produces
>
>   cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
>   process-1.1.0.2
>   haskell98-2.0.0.2
>   ghc-7.6.3
>   Cabal-1.16.0
>   bin-package-db-0.0.0.0
>   directory-1.2.0.1
>   hpc-0.6.0.0
>   Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.

Hmm, that's strange. Can you provide the output of "ghc-pkg list" ?
Also, look at the version of "unix" it lists and pass that in a
constraint instead of 'unix<2.7', e.g. --constraint 'unix==2.6.0.1'. If
it lists multiple versions then pick the first.

If this still happens and you're not doing this as root, it should be
safe enough to try --force-reinstalls.

>> or using a sandbox
>> (start with 'cabal sandbox init' in some throwaway directory) would
>> also help. With cabal sandbox you would need to copy the resulting
>> binary out of .cabal-sandbox/bin to somewhere on your PATH.

> cabal doesn't have a sandbox command.  I guess that means it's too old.
> Sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

You could try cabal install cabal-install to get a new one, but there's
always the risk that'll cause more hassle.I don't know if that wouldn't
have the same problem.

Cheers,

Ganesh