[darcs-devel] [patch1422] make commit an alias for record

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jan 14 14:00:49 UTC 2016

New submission from Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>:

This patch makes "darcs commit" an alias for "darcs record".

`darcs commit` currently says:

    $ darcs commit
    This command does not do anything.
    If you want to save changes locally, use the `darcs record` command.
    If you want to save a recorded patch to another repository, use the
    `darcs push` or `darcs send` commands instead.

This non-command was introduced in 2007 by the patch:

      Sun Jul 22 02:30:50 ART 2007  Eric Kow <eric.kow at loria.fr>
      * Add a 'commit' command stub.

This probably made sense in 2007,  but I no longer think we should explain
to the users that the concept of "committing" does not apply to Darcs as it
does to CVS/SVN. Nowadays all of git, mercurial, bazaar, fossil, veracity...
 use the "commit" command in a way that is similar to darcs' "record".

1 patch for repository http://darcs.net:

patch 1b01e481f1fc803642abb65919d976e0dec55e86