[darcs-devel] [patch1458] move runHLint.sh to root and update to run outside of ...

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Sat Mar 5 20:01:00 UTC 2016

New submission from Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>:

This patch does a few changes to improve our use of HLint and
avoid bitrot.

First it removes failing-haskell-policy.sh which cannot work because
tests are run in temporary directories, hence they have no access
to source code and cannot run HLint usefully.

As a consequence it also removes warnings silenciation from
contrib/darcs-errors.hlint, which were there since HLint was to
be run from the testsuite (in 2009 it seems).

Finally it removes Owen's HLint directory which is from 2012
and had bitrot.

We end up with two files: ./runHLint.sh and ./contrib/darcs-errors.hlint.

I hope that this will motivate us to run HLint on darcs' source code
more often. Things are currently not perfect; there is a bug in cpphs
that makes MIN_VERSION macros fail with hlint. Hence ./runHLint.sh
currently just ignores all CPP.

When we can assume we have sufficiently new cpphs, we can improve the
situation by changing how we use the MIN_VERSION macros, see
https://github.com/ndmitchell/hlint/issues/53 .

1 patch for repository http://darcs.net:

patch 78aa32b19683ac927703ca41e00621732ce043c4