[darcs-devel] [issue1327] Failed to commute common patches

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Mon May 30 11:42:29 UTC 2016

You're right - it turns out tags actually explicitly depend on
anything not covered by another explicit dependency (see
'getUncovered' in Darcs.Patch.Depends). I never realised that about
tags and had just assumed my example would work.

In contrast, the UI for adding explicit dependencies for (non-tag)
patches explicitly ignores anything already covered by an implicit
dependency.

So you can substitute dependencies of normal patches, but not of
tags (either directly or indirectly). This still feels pretty
dubious to me, but not as bad as I thought.