[darcs-devel] [patch1567] two improvements for annotate command

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Wed Aug 9 18:45:36 UTC 2017

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

I compiled darcs with RTS enabled and compared the outputs of "darcs
annotate darcs.cabal +RTS -s" before and after these patches.

There is no change with the patch "plugging memory leak in annotate", so
I wonder what it is really plugging ?

OTOH the second patch brings a nice improvement. We go:

* from "2,314,884,184 bytes allocated in the heap"
* to   "746,047,704 bytes allocated in the heap", and
* from "Total   time    1.340s"
* to   "Total   time    0.752s"

There is one piece of statistic that I do not know what to make of, we go:

* from "28 MB total memory in use (0 MB lost due to fragmentation)"
* to   "37 MB total memory in use (0 MB lost due to fragmentation)"

So the peak memory use (as explained in [1]) has rosen. I can accept
this anyway since running time is better, which is good for most users.

Is this caused by the fact that we have more function calls? Do you know
a way to reduce this peak memory use? Would this be a problem on
machines with low ram?

[1]
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/runtime_control.html#rts-options-to-produce-runtime-statistics