[darcs-devel] [issue1363] mark-conflicts says there are none, but push says there are (duplicate patches)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Fri Aug 11 18:49:54 UTC 2017

I will will remove the failing test case for this issue since this is
not a bug! (BTW, whether we move to hub.darcs.net or not, our bug
tracker should definitely allow to close an issue as 'invalid' or
'not-a-bug'.)

Whether applying a patch results in a conflict or not does depend on the
context in which we apply the patch. This is a trivial observation. The
strange thing here is the context: if a duplicate of the patch to be
applied is already present (and results in a conflict), then adding it
one more time results in a duplicate patch that /resolves the conflict/.

Indeed, after pulling 'Remove f.txt in S' , darcs mark-conflicts indeed
says:

Conflicts found in the following files:
./f.txt

and applies the conflict resolution which consists of

> darcs whatsnew
rmfile ./f.txt

The duplicate from T does exactly this, so it counts as conflict
resolution and the conflict is no longer shown when it is applied.

Note: all this has /nothing/ to do with push/apply versus
mark-conflicts, both behave consistently the same when the context in
which the patch is applied is the same.