[darcs-devel] [patch1586] feature: push --rebase

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Wed Aug 16 13:50:13 UTC 2017

Re UI: My intuition for 'push --rebase' instead of 'darcs rebase push'
was that 'darcs rebase' (until now) edits patches in the local repo,
whereas the new command would do rebase (apply) in the remote. This is
reflected in the implementation which is really just a small variation
in the 'remote apply' step of the normal push command. But I guess my
intuition was influenced too much by the internal view of things. I
agree that 'rebase push' is probably more intuitive and consistent from
the user perspective.

Re semantics: It never occurred to me to suspend the patches that are
being pushed. Perhaps this is because I really want something more akin
to 'git push --force', that is, I want to replace a remote patch with a
locally amended version. In fact, I am considering to add an option that
will also 'rebase obliterate' whatever was suspended in the remote repo
in order to achieve exactly that.

Re adding a warning: that sounds like a good idea.