[darcs-devel] [issue2523] OpenBSD kills darcs because of an mprotect W^X violation

Scott Bonds bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 31 16:48:37 UTC 2017

New submission from Scott Bonds <scott at ggr.com>:

1. Summarise the issue (what were doing, what went wrong?)

I was trying to commit a change but I got an error message instead:

~/bin (master|✚10…) ❯❯❯ darcs record -m "next commit"
addfile ./.gitignore
fish: Job 2, 'darcs record -m "next commit"' terminated by signal
SIGABRT (Abort)

I tailed dmesg and saw this line:

darcs(67403): mprotect W^X violation

Here's some background on why this is a problem on OpenBSD specifically:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160527203200

The workaround is installing darcs on an OpenBSD partition that allows
W^X violations or use a different OS that's less picky about these sort
of things.

2. What behaviour were you expecting instead?

The commit would succeed without error.

3. What darcs version are you using? (Try: darcs --exact-version)

~/bin (master|✚10…) ❯❯❯ darcs --exact-version
darcs compiled on Jan 29 2017, at 22:51:09

Context:

[TAG 2.12.0
Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>**20160429142058
 Ignore-this: 5c8cbe0424942686a2168f9e6fd8e35d
]

Compiled with:

HTTP-4000.3.5
array-0.5.1.0
async-2.1.1
attoparsec-0.13.1.0
base-4.8.2.0
base16-bytestring-0.1.1.6
binary-0.7.5.0
bytestring-0.10.6.0
containers-0.5.6.2
cryptohash-0.11.9
data-ordlist-0.4.7.0
directory-1.2.2.0
fgl-5.5.3.0
filepath-1.4.0.0
graphviz-2999.18.1.2
hashable-1.2.4.0
haskeline-0.7.3.0
html-1.0.1.2
mmap-0.5.9
mtl-2.2.1
network-2.6.3.1
network-uri-2.6.1.0
old-time-1.1.0.3
parsec-3.1.11
process-1.2.3.0
random-1.1
regex-applicative-0.3.3
regex-compat-tdfa-0.95.1.4
sandi-0.3.6
tar-0.5.0.3
terminfo-0.4.0.2
text-1.2.2.1
time-1.5.0.1
transformers-0.4.2.0
transformers-compat-0.4.0.4
unix-2.7.1.0
unix-compat-0.4.1.4
utf8-string-1.0.1.1
vector-0.11.0.0
zip-archive-0.2.3.7
zlib-0.6.1.2

4. What operating system are you running?

OpenBSD rain.ggr.com 6.0 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64

If a darcs dev is interested in working on a fix for this, I'm happy to
create a VirtualBox or Qemu VM image with OpenBSD setup, darcs
installed, and a darcs repo setup that repros the issue. Just say the word.

nosy: bonds
status: unknown
title: OpenBSD kills darcs because of an mprotect W^X violation