[darcs-devel] [issue2275] Darcs follows symbolic links instead of properly ignoring them

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Wed Mar 15 18:13:35 UTC 2017

I fully agree that the current behaviour is a mess, as you amply
illustrated. I am not so sure ignoring symlinks is the right idea,
however. I would say Darcs should guard against them: as soon as you try
to add one or replace a file or directory that Darcs knows about with a
symlink, or in just about any situation where Darcs accesses a file or
directory (that is or is about to become version controlled), Darcs
should fail with an error message, unless you pass an explicit switch
(--resolve-symbolic-links).