[darcs-devel] [patch1593] clean up display of file names by separating display and storage of patches (rebased from Ben's encoding branch)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Sun Oct 1 17:05:00 UTC 2017

> Could we treat one as a legacy case requiring a wrapper
> and the other as a simpler/more standard one?

I think it would be possible to do that. Indeed, the idea is tempting.
However, this is no small refactoring in itself. It raises a number of
design questions: What to do with PrimRead and PrimShow classes when we
do that? What to do with the FileFormat and PatchListFormat types? I
don't have the head for these questions at the moment, since I have so
many other patches in my queue (some of them not yet in code but only in
my head).

There is nothing stopping anyone from doing another refactor along these
lines after this patch is screened, which is what I am going to do now
(though I may rebase it once more before I do that).