[darcs-devel] [patch1623] OldDate belongs to Darcs.Util since it has no patch-related code

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Fri Oct 20 08:59:41 UTC 2017

Right. So suppose someone digs out an old repo, some work she abandoned
at some time before 2003. Things like that do happen from time to time,
and we have no idea how many of those old repos might exist. Can we
guarantee that we are able to convert it to hashed format, so the
history is not lost? Suppose this happens to someone who moved away from
darcs, reluctantly, because back then darcs couldn't handle things like
unicode or froze up due to nested conflicts. And now wants to give darcs
another try and discovers that it crashes when it tries to read the old
repo. Will such a person come back to re-discover a much improved darcs?

I am all for breaking compatibility with ancient formats but only if
there is a clear and reliable upgrade path.