[darcs-devel] hunk moves as a new kind of prim patch

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Thu Feb 15 00:00:19 UTC 2018

Am 15.02.2018 um 00:34 schrieb Ben Franksen:
>   B = Hunk 1 [a] []; Hunk 2 [] [a]
>
> and we get a conflict if we try to merge A and B.
>
> However, what if we had a primitive patch that could directly represent
> B as a single "hunk move"? For instance:
>
>   B' = HunkMove 1 2 [a]

Besides avoiding conflicts, this representation is also quite a bit more
valuable when viewing changes, especially when the data that gets moved
spans many lines. The point is that in order to review a change that is
represented as a hunk move we often don't have to look at the content of
the moved data in detail, especially if it is a complete syntactical
unit. (We may need to see a bit of the sourrounding context to make sure
this is the case.)

Cheers
Ben