[darcs-devel] [patch1631] require GHC 8, QuickCheck 2.8.2, zlib 0.6.1.2, suppress warnings and unused CPP pragmas

Guillaume Hoffmann guillaumh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 20:40:46 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

sorry, but I am going to disagree strongly on this one.

We have been failing at providing a Darcs release that can be built
with GHC 8.2, and at the same time we cannot make a 2.14 release since
Darcs has encoding problems under Windows [1].

With GHC 8.4 to be released in 2 months [2][3], we should focus on
making Darcs as 2018-proof as possible ASAP given our current
developer time availability, or else we are not going to be able to
make a 2.14 release in a reasonable time frame.

Guillaume

[1] http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1628
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.4.1
[3] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Migration/8.4