[darcs-devel] [patch1661] give FileUUID some love

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sat Mar 24 15:49:04 UTC 2018

Am 21.03.2018 um 22:29 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
> On 21/03/2018 16:25, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
>
>>> In the ticket I have explained in detail why I think ppShow is an
>>> extremely useful thing to have.
>>
>> Now, about the commented code you left, it is bad not only because it
>> is commented, but also because it is unexplained. Basically it is only
>> useful for you.
>
> For what it's worth, I think it's worth keeping commented-out code
> around if it helps an active developer's workflow. I something similar
> with the PatchDebug class; in theory anyone could use it, but I suspect
> noone but me has.

That reminds me of the Dummy patch type which I guess also belongs to
this category. I have often thought about adding a more useful variant
of that: a very simple primitive patch type (and apply state) that is
nonetheless non-trivial. Perhaps something that modifies a single
integer in certain restricted ways such that not all such changes
trivially commute. Such a "simple non-trivial primitive patch theory"
would be very useful for exploring and debugging new ways to handle or
represent conflicts. And also as a sort of documentation-by-example for
all the classes that define the patch API.

Cheers
Ben