[darcs-devel] Update for installing darcs OpenBSD binaries.

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Wed May 23 20:49:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 06:54:21PM +0200, Christoph R. Murauer wrote:
> I saw, that at http://darcs.net/Binaries in the section OpenBSD is a
> link to ports / openports.se which is not needed.
>
> Long story short, in OpenBSD ports are packages and vice versa.
>
> To install darcs on OpenBSD the command
>
> pkg_add darcs
>
> is enough (no ports are needed).

Right. Anyone using OpenBSD should please prefer official OpenBSD
packages *unless* he/she is working on the ports tree or testing
port updates sent to the OpenBSD ports mailing list.

> This installs darcs 2.12.5 on -stable
> and / or -current. Sure, you can build it from ports but, there are no
> benefits and, in ports you dont find the latest version which you can
> build using cabal.

As the still de-facto maintainer of all the haskell ports/packages
for OpenBSD, I really hope to find some spare time to update darcs
(and to update ghc). This will hopefully happen before the OpenBSD-6.4
release, so people running OpenBSD stable would get darcs-2.14 in
autumn 2018.

Ciao,
	Kili