[darcs-devel] [issue2606] improve handling of dependency swaps

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Nov 20 16:25:52 UTC 2018

Here is one idea how merge-by-value can be supported in the UI.

When we select remote patches during a pull, a special key for 'minimize
dependency' could be offered. This would be treated similarly to 'w',
with the difference that if such a patch turns out to be needed to
fulfill a dependency, then it should be amended by throwing out all
unneeded content i.e. retain only the prims that patches we really want
to pull depend on.

Or perhaps this should be an option for pull, and after patch selection
we are asked again about the automatically selected patches and whether
we want to minimize them; similar to how rebase pull asks us about
patches to suspend in a second pass. The UI should allow, probably even
strongly suggest, to edit the patch name in order to avoid confusion
when pulling again from the same repo.