[darcs-devel] [patch1768] make it clear that coercing Repository is "unsafe"

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Sun Nov 25 22:49:33 UTC 2018

New submission from Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>:

I won't screen this immediately. Essentially the problem it's
trying to address is that the Repository type parameters can all
be manipulated with plain "coerce", which is generally seen as safe.

Concrete patch types in theory have the same problem, but in practice
most patch code is polymorphic on the patch type so the witnesses
can't be coerced. I may take a look at doing the same for patches
at some point; it might also be nice to use the new kind system
features in GHC to properly classify the witnesses in general.

I don't feel too strongly about this if there are significant
downsides I've missed.

1 patch for repository darcs-unstable at darcs.net:screened:

patch f0fc5379f75d02cb2ac15e75ce64293bdb0ed153
Author: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
Date:   Sun Nov 18 22:01:43 GMT 2018
  * make it clear that coercing Repository is "unsafe"

  This may be a little pedantic, especially as we don't claim that
  mkRepo is unsafe, but it's consistent with the API for patches.

files: make-it-clear-that-coercing-repository-is-_unsafe_.dpatch, patch-preview.txt, unnamed
messages: 20557
nosy: ganesh
status: needs-screening
title: make it clear that coercing Repository is "unsafe"