[darcs-devel] [patch1750] re-formulate the bad sources hint (and 3 more)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Thu Oct 18 21:47:08 UTC 2018

New submission from Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>:

These four patches remove or modify parts of messages that I always found
more annoying than helpful. I am not screening them yet, but if nobody
complains in, say, 2 weeks I will.

4 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

patch da98f6eae4bc3c158e1edb47f300289d01a12d2a
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sat Sep 29 18:42:18 CEST 2018
  * re-formulate the bad sources hint

  First, it no longer shouts at the user. Second, instead of saying what the
  user "should probably" do, we give a clear recommendation, but make it
  conditional on circumstance (the user may want to keep the source if they
  plan to restore access to it).

patch f293190d6c4527a331ff682a9281ab28a348be3e
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sat Sep 29 22:16:18 CEST 2018
  * remove hint "Do you have the right URI for the repository?"

  This hint serves no purpose at all. We already told the user the name of the
  repo and that we don't recognize it as one. What more is there to say?

patch d3dd6e750d102108c77188cb7d4a64a89e59d557
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Sat Sep 29 22:03:30 CEST 2018
  * remove the set-default hint

  This hint was probably added when we changed the default for push and pull
  to --no-set-default, so that users could get used to the new behavior. This
  has been many years ago and the hint nowadays looks rather strange and just
  causes confusion for newcomers or casual users. A by-product of this change
  is that the code for handling --set-default gets a lot simpler.

patch ab9d625c0ce86cca33282bc336416d1ef893cf5a
Author: Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
Date:   Fri Oct  5 01:39:19 CEST 2018
  * remove the "darcs failed:" from error messages

  Most error conditions reported by darcs are due to invalid input from the
  user, or indicate non-existence of things (patches, files, ...). It makes no
  sense for darcs to take the blame for that, which is what the phrase
  suggests to me.

files: patch-preview.txt, re_formulate-the-bad-sources-hint.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 20421
nosy: bf
status: needs-screening
title: re-formulate the bad sources hint (and 3 more)