[darcs-devel] [patch1856] tentativelyMergePatches: rename anonpend... (and 10 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Tue Aug 6 09:40:05 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 23:16, Ben Franksen wrote:

> We could clarify the strategy using DerivingStrategies. However, this
> also places a burden on the developer: they have to think about which
> strategy to use in which case. I think relying on the default is safer:
> it was carefully chosen to be semantically compatible, so that merely
> switching GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving on or off does not change the behavior.

My view is that this is something the developer should be explicitly
aware of, and that would also make reading the code easier. I'd rather
not have to remember the exact GHC rules to know what's going on.

That said, if you remember that stock beats everything in cases where it
would matter, then the rules do lead to warnings on other ambiguities:

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.5/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html#default-deriving-strategy

So it's not too important to me.