[darcs-devel] camp paper location

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Aug 11 23:54:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've recently started looking (again) at the "Camp Patch Theory" paper
in detail so I can properly review the V3 commute/merge implementations.

The first question is what exactly to look at :-)

There's a version of the paper dated 27/1/2012 here:

https://archives.haskell.org/projects.haskell.org/camp/files/theory.pdf

However the darcs repository for the paper, here, has some more recent
patches:

https://archives.haskell.org/code.haskell.org/camp/devel/paper/

I had some trouble getting that to build. I eventually succeeded, with
some tweaks (some of which date from my last look at the paper 5 years
ago!).

Unfortunately some of the more recent changes cause a "! Dimension too
large." error from LaTeX, so start from the 'builds' tag:

http://urchin.earth.li/darcs/ganesh/camp-paper/

I also only got the paper building, not the proofs. Use "make doc".

There's a generated PDF here:

http://urchin.earth.li/~ganesh/temp/theory.pdf

All this is to say that we should get the "where to get it" on a more
solid footing for us. That might be simply by saying "let's use this
frozen PDF", or by being clear what repository to use. I don't know if
we want to put effort into trying to develop the paper further.

Also, for the references in the source code, it might be better to refer
to definitions etc by their names as well as their numbers, as the
latter can change. E.g. refer to "definition 10.1 (contexted-patch)"
rather than just "definition 10.1". We should also make it clear in the
source what paper these definitions actually refer to.

Cheers,

Ganesh