[darcs-devel] [patch1874] fix in add command: fail unconditionally when no files...

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Fri Aug 16 08:12:42 UTC 2019

> The behaviour should certainly not depend on verbosity. I guess
> it's debatable whether we should fail or not when there's nothing to
> do but I don't feel strongly either way.

I think failing when there is nothing to do was done to support
scripting, so you could say 'if darcs add ... then ...'. Not sure if
anyone seriously relies on that. My preference would be not to fail in
such situations, except perhaps for pure query commands (whatsnew, log).

BTW, I always liked the way darcs tells me "You don't want to xxx
anything and that's fine with me" which to me means " Yes, I have
successfully done nothing, exactly as you requested". But that's
probably just the methematician in me ;-)