[darcs-devel] [patch1883] get rid of unused ShowDictRecord (and 2 more)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Aug 20 20:20:06 UTC 2019

> Well, maybe we can think about whether depending on 8.6 is actually a
> problem? When do you anticipate making a release?
>
> 8.6 was released in September 2018 so it's not completely bleeding
> edge. On the other hand it looks like it won't be in Debian stable
> for a couple of years, as it missed the last release last month:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

Not supporting the ghc in debian stable would be a shame. I really like
this patch but I would like to release darcs-3.0 sooner than the next
debian stable.

The largest remaining stumbling block is currently repo conversion to
darcs-3. This is absolutely essential for any real-world usage. Other
issues like nailing down the on-disk format aren't /that/ important: the
difficult part of conversion are the semantic differences, whereas an
optimization (like avoiding to store most of the prim patch IDs) could
be done later and in a fully compatible way, similar to the upgrade to
the hashed repo format.

Therefore I think we should really obliterate this patch from screened,
even though it pains me to say that.