[darcs-devel] [patch1883] get rid of unused ShowDictRecord (and 2 more)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Aug 20 22:30:48 UTC 2019

> I don't mind rolling it back instead of trying to orchestrate
> an obliteration - presumably the tag you've made also depends on it
> now?

Yes. I personally find an obliterate cleaner. Not much orchestration
needed, I would just do it. Shall I?

> My original plan, before I realised how good QuantifiedConstraints
> were, was to use the 'constraints' package more heavily, so at
> least I can go to that state instead in the "rollback".

I don't know much about the constraints package, but I am worried about
adding more dependencies and "constraints" sounds like one of those
heavy packages of which we would need just a tiny part?

The Show boilerplate doesn't hurt /that/ much, besides the instances
aren't used a lot, most of the unit test code and error messages use
displayPatch when something fails which I find a lot more readable
anyway. I guess we can just leave the instances in there and (mostly)
ignore them. For now.

> And maybe
> some cunning trick will turn up for the instances after all.
> Unfortunately supporting GHC < 8.6 also rules out the use of
> DerivingVia.

Yea, this is sad. I have used it intensively in my current
Sequence/Equality branch. Not in screened, though.