[darcs-devel] [patch1730] add RepoPatchV3 aka camp conflictors (and 3 more)

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Thu Feb 14 08:24:56 UTC 2019

This bundle superseded the earlier one. It contains full integration of the
new patch format. All tests pass, but one or two minor features are not yet
implemented, see below for details.

I made no change whatsoever to the core algorithms (commute, merge, etc)
relative to the patch bundle I sent previously, only a minor refactor with
regard to the way PrimPatchIds are embedded in the representation.
Particularly, the NamedPrim wrapper is now fully hidden inside the
RepoPatchV3 implementation i.e. PrimOf (RepoPatchV3 prim) ~ prim ~ whatever
the underlying (unnamed) prim patch format is (i.e. usually V1).

The last big hurdle was to implement resolveConflicts. For this to work with
V3 I had to change the type of that method and this required a certain
amount of changes downstream. In particular, we have to pass the whole
history whenever we merge patches because the conflict resolution for V3
requires that. Instead of adding yet another parameter to functions that
already take more parameters than looks healthy, I chose to wrap all passed
patches as a (Fork common us them), where common is a PatchSet starting at
the Origin. This works out nicely due to the laziness of PatchSets, which
are only evaluated (and read from disk) as far as needed. The algorithm for
conflict resolution is documented in detail in the code.

A rather dirty hack makes this algorithm for resolveConflicts work when
unsuspending patches. The function forceCommutePrim (applied to the fixups
of a patch and the suspended patch itself) violated the assumption that a
patch we conflict with must be found somewhere in the context. To fix that
the patches contained in the resulting WDDNamed are now prefixed with @fixup
:>: invert fixup at .

One thing I am planning to do but haven't begun yet is to re-implement the
function that produces the actual conflict markup (mangleUnravelled) for
NamedPrims, taking advantage of the PrimPatchIds to improve the markup so it
includes the hashes of the originating named patches.

Not yet implemented is conversion from earlier formats to darcs-3.

Also not yet implemented is check/repair: I am using the default methods
that are just stubs that don't do anything interesting. The problem here is
that we cannot lift an operation on a list of prims to a list of NamedPrims
if this involves adding or removing prims, which is what the implementation
for Prim.V1 does. This needs to be refactored to handle one prim at a time
which I haven't done yet.

Similarly, showing hunks with surrounding context for v3 patches is
disabled for now. The code that shows a series of hunks with context is a
mess; it bypasses showContextPatch and re-implements showing for V1 prims.
This needs to be cleaned up first.

25 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

patch 201588ce705f87b17bcb800c113b91d75d3a450e