[darcs-devel] [patch1844] automatically specialize merging and equality for sequences of patches with identity

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Fri Jun 28 21:03:42 UTC 2019

I just realized that semantic equality for patches and patch
sequences is not sufficient. It would be enough for darcs itself,
but many /properties/ can only be expressed via structural equality.
In particular, any property /about/ semantic equality must refer to
the underlying structural equality or be vacuous. Similarly, the
usual read/show roundtrip properties should be expressed with
structural comparison else we risk testing only that the contained
PatchIds are correctly roundtripped.

The recent introduction of NamedPrim, class Ident, and now class
Sequence in this bundle, has made it rather obvious that we cannot
continue to be unclear which sort of equality we mean. Our current
=\/= and =/\= operators are clearly meant to be semantic, so we need
new "operators" (functions, methods) to express structural equality.

This means that we either need to add more methods to class Eq2 or
introcude a new class.

Any ideas?