[darcs-devel] Conversion to darcs-3

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Oct 1 05:45:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 30/09/2019 23:25, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Am 30.09.19 um 20:47 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
>>>  (1) The backward commute hits the bottom of the repo (autsch!)
>>>
>>> The two properties we required above correspond to these two failure
>>> modes. It is a sad fact that our very own darcs repo contains at least
>>> one patch that fails property (1):
>>>
>>> patch ae4febe5ea3946e54e0b0006c9c0525c4033aa6f
>>> Author: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
>>> Date:   Fri Oct  8 23:30:21 CEST 2010
>>>   * build test harness with witnesses and drop separate build
>>
>> I've had a look at the raw patch file for this patch (after pulling it
>> into a fresh repo as you suggest), and it doesn't seem to actually have
>> conflicts.
>
> Not in screened. It has in reviewed, though, at least in my local clone.
> Let's see... yes, same with a fresh clone.
>
>> But as you say you can't make a minimal conflict-free repo with it in. I
>> guess that's because there were unresolved conflicts in the repo when I
>> recorded it, and it acquired a dependency on a named patch containing those.
>
> No, look at the patch summary, it says
>
>     M! ./darcs.cabal -80 +2
>     R ./src/witnesses.hs

It looks like we have an instance of the known bugs in darcs with
swapping out dependencies via identical hunks.

I just made the clean repo starting from reviewed and I see the same
thing as you.

But if I start from screened I do get an unconflicted patch (which may
what you mean by "Not in screened" above).

If I try to pull between the two repos I get "Failed to commute common
patches" errors. The error mentions this patch and one other, which is
different in each direction (details below). I diffed the output of
darcs changes in the two repos and the only difference, after sorting
the hashes, is in those two patches.

Regardless of the general handling of duplicates, I think this destroys
the strategy of expecting we will get the same converted patch no matter
what repo we start the conversion from :-(

Cheers,

Ganesh

pull in repo with unconflicted version, pulling from repo with
conflicted version:

patch c61dd9f69a0815dd4fba9a72a931c4366966bb5e
Author: Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 14 21:58:31 GMT Summer Time 2010
  * require regex-posix >= 0.94.4 on windows to avoid link errors with
with HP 2010.2.0.0

pull in repo with conflicted version, from repo with unconflicted version:

patch bf1b48d54b1feb879ef638751e8ac4ecda5cbf69
Author: Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de>
Date:   Fri Oct 15 13:39:19 GMT Summer Time 2010
  * Force regex-posix version to be greater than 0.94.4 on Windows to
avoid linking errors

  This is a port to the 2.5 branch of:
  Tue Sep 14 13:58:31 PDT 2010  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>