[darcs-devel] Conversion to darcs-3

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Oct 11 11:51:49 UTC 2019

>> I don't think so. We can try to commute patches in a different order. In
>> case a dependency has already been commuted past /and/ is no longer part
>> of that repo (i.e. has been obliterated or amended) we'll have to fail,
>> but I guess this is not the typical scenario.
>
> If the commute succeeds in two different repos, then can't the same v2
> patch could produce v3 patches with different implicit dependencies?
> That doesn't feel like it would end well.

Well yes. In the scenario of tests/issue2605-duplicates.sh we end up
with two (V1 or V2) repos R1, R2 with unconflicted patches A1, A2, B,
such that R1=A1;B and R2=A2;B. This would convert cleanly to V3, since
none of the patches are conflicted.

But note that we can never be 100% sure that we don't encounter such a
situation, even if V1 and V2 had never existed and we start fresh with
V3, since our patch identities aren't cryptographically secure. So we
could always fake another repo where a patch has different dependencies.
This is an inherent weakness of Darcs and I cannot see a way to fix that.

Cheers
Ben