[darcs-devel] unsuspend-reify [was: [patch1824] v3: basic integration]

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Sep 1 14:26:56 UTC 2019

Am 01.09.19 um 13:26 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
>> No we don't. Representing conflicts with unrecorded is not something I
>> have ever heaŕd any user ask for. Trying to do that is a completely
>> unnecessary complication.
> We may be talking at cross-purposes, because I thought we'd already
> discussed that.

We did, but we did not come to an agreement ;-)

> I certainly find it a problem when I pull in some remote
> patches and they make my local changes a mess of conflict markup and I
> then find it hard to get back to what I had before.

I think I get it. You really don't want darcs to fail in this case,
requiring of you to decide which changes to record or revert. Instead
you want darcs to do something automatic here, like recording those
unrecorded changes that would conflict. Or something similar.

Well, I am pretty sure I would never want that to happen. My guess is
that this is only useful for quite advanced users who understand all the
mechanics behind it and know how to deal with the results.

I won't try to prevent you from implementing such a feature if you feel
it is important to you. But I would find it sad if this leads to further
complications of our code.

Cheers
Ben