[darcs-devel] unsuspend-reify [was: [patch1824] v3: basic integration]

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Sep 1 16:40:26 UTC 2019

On 01/09/2019 15:26, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Am 01.09.19 um 13:26 schrieb Ganesh Sittampalam:
>>> No we don't. Representing conflicts with unrecorded is not something I
>>> have ever heaŕd any user ask for. Trying to do that is a completely
>>> unnecessary complication.
>> We may be talking at cross-purposes, because I thought we'd already
>> discussed that.
>
> We did, but we did not come to an agreement ;-)

Oh, I see. Dealing with what happens when there are conflicts with
unrecorded is what we discussed, but your view is that having darcs fail
is the best solution.

>> I certainly find it a problem when I pull in some remote
>> patches and they make my local changes a mess of conflict markup and I
>> then find it hard to get back to what I had before.
>
> I think I get it. You really don't want darcs to fail in this case,
> requiring of you to decide which changes to record or revert. Instead
> you want darcs to do something automatic here, like recording those
> unrecorded changes that would conflict. Or something similar.
>
> Well, I am pretty sure I would never want that to happen. My guess is
> that this is only useful for quite advanced users who understand all the
> mechanics behind it and know how to deal with the results.
>
> I won't try to prevent you from implementing such a feature if you feel
> it is important to you. But I would find it sad if this leads to further
> complications of our code.

OK. But that still brings us back to what to do with the conflicts from
fixups, so let's focus on that. I'd expect I could (optionally) reuse
whatever we do come up with for that for conflicts with unrecorded,
without adding significant extra complexity.

If there is some way of constructing a Named with the right conflicts,
are you still interested in doing that? I have a feeling we could
construct something by starting from the inverse of the unsuspended
patch+the fixups. But it'd need some playing around to nail down how it
should work.

Cheers,

Ganesh