[darcs-devel] [patch1901] fix interpretation of bundles as patchsets

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Sep 3 14:42:16 UTC 2019

>> The only remaining use of the old scanContextFile is for the --context
>> option to 'darcs send' (internally the option is named sendToContext).
>> Before I start getting my hands dirty with refactoring the send command:
>> is this option actually something worth keeping? What is the use case?
>
> I don't use it: if I want to send against a specified context (which I
> do need to do sometimes) then I just clone my repository, unpull the
> patches in the clone, and then send to that clone.

Ah, now I understand what it is for. I was wondering what it means to
send against a specific context, but I understand now that it means the
bundle doesn't include patches that are in the context (but still
contains any dependencies that are not in the context).

Indeed my usual workflow for that situation is similar.

> In principle
> --context might provide a nicer workflow but I don't know how I'd create
> the context file.

'darcs log --context > filename' should do it. But that doesn't help
much because you cannot deselect patches with --context, nor are any of
the matching options honored. So I guess this is currently quite useless
but that doesn't mean the idea is bad per se.