[darcs-devel] [patch1911] WIP: use Prim patches in rebase toedit

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Tue Sep 3 16:14:22 UTC 2019

New submission from Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>:

For discussion for now.

As we discussed in a separate thread, the rebase ToEdit
patch should really use primitive patches rather than
repo patches.

This patch removes one fromAnonymousPrim from the commute
code for RebaseFixup, and also significantly simplifies
those commute methods as they don't need to use effect
and hence return an FL any more.

In exchange we get one extra fromAnonymousPrim in the
Summary instance for RebaseChange, for not particularly
good reasons. But it's in a less critical place in the
code (just for looking at things).

To do is to figure out backwards compatibility. It didn't
break any tests which I guess is because we don't have
any regression repositories saved out, so I should fix that
anyway.

Given that "new-style" rebase hasn't yet been released,
one possible strategy would be to make the change
unconditionally for new-style and then convert when
migrating from old-style rebase. Or we could just
always try to parse a ToEdit patch using a repo patch
first, and use 'effect' if needed.

1 patch for repository darcs-unstable at darcs.net:screened:

patch 7610904aa6588a30d42e43d531162b7843fb0fff