[darcs-devel] [patch1911] WIP: use Prim patches in rebase toedit

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Wed Sep 4 22:14:01 UTC 2019

I just realized that the whole plan has one major flaw. I think it is
this flaw that has initially led me to instinctively reject your idea,
even before I fully understood it.

The problem is that the operations fullUnwind and forceCommute, as well
as the proof that you can commute intermediate fixups out of the
sequence of prims of a Named patch are only sound if the prims involved
have identities. Only with named prims you can safely cancel inverses.
Without them you run into problems as soon as duplicate prims enter the
picture.

Until we have an answer to that it makes no sense to further talk about
details.