[darcs-devel] [patch1913] WIP: get rid of Invert instances for non-prim patch types

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Mon Sep 16 15:41:24 UTC 2019

On 15/09/2019 21:51, Ben Franksen wrote:

> Sorry for the many patches.

Lots of smaller patches is great actually, when they have independent
meaning it makes reviewing much easier.

> It is still not for screened yet, but can serve as a basis for discussion.
> There are a number of conflicts with intermediate work and I chose not to
> rebase my patches but resolve the conflicts, because that more reliably
> avoids loosing changes. But I can rebase the new patches now that things
> have settled a bit.

How about starting to push the patches that are ready for screened, also
putting them in chunks in separate patches on the tracker? Once
dependencies are in screened, it makes it a lot easier to think about
what's ready next.

For example these preparatory patches all look fine to me (i.e. I've
fully reviewed them):

> * re-export all imported classes (with members) from Darcs.Patch.RepoPatch
> * matching a patch should be invariant under inversion
> * rename repr to reInvert and fix its haddocks
> * remove Invert constraint from Matchable and MatchableRP
> * use showPatch ForStorage in V3 error messages

Once we get to actually adding Invertible, it looks fine to me except
perhaps the 'Apply' instance. If you can push that together with the
introductionof 'unapply', it'd be great, but even if we have to wait I
don't think it's a big problem.

> There are a number of changes to Darcs.Patch.Rebase.* which probably
> conflict with ongoing work of yours.

That's fine. Most of my work is quite preliminary still, especially now
it turns out I can't change the underlying rebase representation to a
prim without causing a regression. Let's merge anything that moves us in
the direction we want to go merged, and then see what's left to do.