[darcs-devel] [patch1898] WIP: identical commutes are an internal ... (and 1 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Mon Sep 23 12:25:41 UTC 2019

> I hope you are aware that the standard random uses a time stamp as its
> only source of entropy. This is decidedly not cryptographically secure.
> (Disclaimer: I haven't yet looked at your patch).

We don't need cryptographic security for our tests, just a
(probabilistic) guarantee of collision-freedom. As long as the RNG is
only initialised once for a given test then even a deterministic
sequence of pseudo-random numbers ought to be fine, unless I'm
misunderstanding something about their behaviour.