[darcs-devel] [patch1927] RepoPatchV3: import everything explicitly

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Mon Sep 23 18:12:51 UTC 2019

> Back to the issue in question, I think I ran into this because I failed to
>
> import Prelude ()
> import Darcs.Prelude
>
> as we do elsewhere. I failed to do this for almost any module I added.

I think I've been forgetting about it as well even though I introduced
it. But it is exactly designed to smooth out GHC/base version
incompatibilities so it sounds like the right solution.

> Thinking about this a bit more, I think the first line should rather be
> replaced with a global NoImplicitPrelude extension. I will play with
> that idea and send a patch.

I think I've played with it before and didn't like the effects, but I
can't remember the details so we might as well try it again.
https://wiki.haskell.org/No_import_of_Prelude suggests it'd be ok given
that we re-export the whole Prelude minus a few bits anyway.

The other downside is it becomes a bit harder to read a single source
file and understand what's happening.