[darcs-devel] [patch1932] fix doc comment for filterDirContents (and 13 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Thu Sep 26 13:05:30 UTC 2019

>> Fine. Now we have the new HTTP downloading could we just drop -fcurl? I
>> can't remember if we discussed that before.
>
> This came up because I had a situation where I wanted to compare with a
> darcs built against curl. I cannot remember the details, but I had a
> serious performance regression when interacting with remote
> repositories, related to the asynchronous download changes. As long as
> it doesn't hurt us seriously I would like us to keep it.

OK. It's just more complexity, including configuration and some C files,
but it's not really costing anything to maintain right now. I don't plan
to pay any attention to keeping it working on Windows though.

>>>   * fallback to simplePrinters if fancyPrinters throws exception
>>
> My justification for using catchall here was that we don't loose
> anything significant, just coloring. I don't think the exeption in
> question was an IO error because I would have used catchIOError in that
> case.

I see these options, in order of preference for me (I could live with
any of them):

 - remove the catchall and wait for it to fail again, and analyse the
   actual causes
 - add a debugPrint when the catchall gets hit, so that someone trying
   to understand why they're not getting colour can find out
 - leave the catchall as it is, perhaps with a comment to explain it

>> Sounds good - as long as the windows tests don't throw up any problems!
>
> Ahem, yes, we should check that. I keep forgetting that there are
> problems with renaming directories in Windows.

It was fine when I ran the tests, which I always do before actually
pushing to reviewed.

A gap we do have with Windows testing is that you could perfectly
legitimately run the tests on Linux and then push to reviewed and I'd
only find it later. But the same is true for any tests that are being
skipped in my configuration, I think we just need to accept those risks.