[darcs-devel] rebase backwards compatibility

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Sep 27 16:33:52 UTC 2019

Hi,

Given we're planning on changing the internal format of rebase
substantially, I'm wondering which formats we should maintain backwards
compatibility with.

We already support the old-style rebase in 2.14 to the extent of being
able to upgrade it to the current format, and there are some tests of that.

Do we also want to support the current behaviour of 2.15, which has been
live for quite a while now? Or is it acceptable to just have a single
upgrade step from old-style to whatever the final format we release 2.16
with?

It'll make things a lot easier but I don't know how disruptive it'll be
to anyone who's been working with current HEAD. Personally I don't keep
rebases in progress for long so it won't be an issue (and anyway I'm not
using HEAD, for bad reasons).

Cheers,

Ganesh