[darcs-devel] ghc version range

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Aug 22 14:58:25 UTC 2020

Hi,

As we discussed on http://bugs.darcs.net/patch2017, let's agree the
minimum GHC version we want to support on HEAD from now.

Debian stable (buster) has GHC 8.4:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/ghc

The next Debian release (bullseye) will have at least 8.8:
https://packages.debian.org/testing/ghc

Judging by the timelines for buster, I would guess that it will come out
mid-late 2021:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBuster#Before_the_release
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBullseye#Before_the_release

We don't necessarily need to actually bump the minimum right now, but
maybe we can agree on a version that is an acceptable minimum if some
change requires it.

I would propose 8.8. That said, if we think the next major release is
likely to be in less than a years' time, then maybe we should just say
it's 8.4.

If possible I would like to resurrect the bits of
http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1883 that depended on GHC 8.6, but it's not
that important.

Cheers,

Ganesh